Monday, October 27, 2008

A lazy kind of day

One of my favorite things to do on a day like today is to go through cookbooks! I love cookbooks! I collect them... of course I collect dust too! I was trying to decide what to make for our company Christmas party. Then after Jeff came home form work we talked and decided that we may not have the party after all. With the way the economy is going it's expensive.

I made sure that when we designed my "new" kitchen at the farm we would include a built in bookshelf in my island. I had seen it in an old Taste of Home cooking magazine, and loved it! (Above) Of course I have more than filled it and have had to add several (minus the pile I was going through) to another shelf in my kitchen. (Left) That table was originally for my crocks/tureens. It is turning into a cookbook table!

And you should see the collection that my mother-in-law has.....oooooooohhhhhh! It puts my collection to shame.
I started to change the clothes in my closet from spring/summer to fall/winter. I haven't gotten very far, just piles in my room... to be put on hangers and placed in my already over stuffed closet. Farm houses are not known for having a lot of closet space. If you know me you know that I love clothes... and shoes...and jewelry.. which means that I do not have the space I used to have at our old house for my "stuff". That is one of the things that I miss the most about our old house my walk in closet, and another is the attached garage.

I started this blog three times now- in between times of writing I have been working on the piles of clothes UGH!!! And watching it snow. Yes that's right S-N-O-W that nasty cold wet stuff that happens in the cold brrrrr winter months YUCK.

Yes, I know that there are people that love the cold and snow (I have a son that does-I used to think he was a bright boy...) Sorry son! It can be beautiful, but it really lasted a LONG time last year! I don't like to go out in it especially if there is ice. I am afraid of falling. I have had two back surgeries and cannot afford a fall.

We just got a call from our second son that is attending IWU. He was pretty excited because he found out that he was accepted into the program in Zambia, Africa for the May term this year. Now all he has to do is raise about $4200.00 .... I better do a lot more writing. Anybody have any ideas what I can write about? Maybe a "how to" book on how to raise money in a recession...

Perhaps I need to take opportunity to to shoot one or two of these critters that showed up outside of my dining room last week. I was wondering if Thanksgiving dinner was just going to walk into the dining room for me. I was pretty amazed that they would get so close to the house. there were actually 14 of them but I didn't get them all in the shot. Our dog, Buzz, thought it was pretty interesting. He sniffed and sniffed after they meandered away. Here is a picture of them as they walk past two grills on our deck. Do you think they were intimidated? No way! Here is a picture of Buzz sniffing the area. He decided to chase after them several hours later. I have had to holler at him several times as he thinks he's allowed to go after them.
It appears he now thinks he's a turkey dog, rather than a rabbit or squirrel dog. My was he upset.
Jeff thought it was a good time to take a shot at them when they appeared again yesterday
afternoon. He thought he hit one, it acted like he got it, but then it ran for the woods about 1000 yards away from the house. NOPE, no fresh turkey yet. Maybe I'll go get my turkey permit and get one. I can sit on my porch and shoot it! I'll feel like Granny Clampett. Ha!
Well, I'm feeling the urgency to finish the pile of clothes on my bed, then I am done for now. I have every intention of sleeping in my bed tonight and as long as my skirts and slacks are piled up I can't see that happening.

2 comments:

Tina said...

Hey Lady, I have no clue what it's like to be so organized at home. I am crazy organized about work and business and when it comes to daily life like closets and such, I'm a doof.
SNOW!! I'm not ready for that, but I know it's coming.
If you can get two turkeys, get one for me too.
T

Tina said...

Becki,I don't think I have your e-mail address so I can send you my mailing address. So good to see you yesterday.
T