Friday, August 20, 2010

The Farm

Today we have the privilege of sharing our place of residence with a gentleman that is going to take pictures and write an article about the farm. We live on a lovely farm at the edge of town that in years past used to be the farm that was the producer of milk for a local dairy store. He is doing the that was then, this is now thing.

Yesterday, Jeff and I worked like crazy to get things in shape for pictures, and I finished up with the important stuff this morning. WHEW! It is 9:30 a.m. and they are here!


I am not a born and bred farm girl, no, I was a city girl through and through! Until eight years ago.

After Liz died in 2000, I didn't think I could live in our home any more because of all of the memories. So, we went looking to buy something else. We found a lovely home with six acres and a pond, made an offer and it was accepted...then I couldn't follow through with it. Those very memories that I was afraid of, were something I desperately needed.

So, for two and a half years we stayed in our home. We had been married for 21 years at that point our home was paid off, and we loved where
we were, we loved and treasure the memories.

One day we received a phone call from an "old" friend. A wonderful man that had known Jeff's family for many many years. He owns a lot of property in our town, and he posed the question of "would you be interested..." We had not looked for anything more since that first place that we nearly bought, so I couldn't honestly say yes. My husband, Jeff, told him we would think about it and talk about it and let him know.

When he told us where this property was, I was amazed by the fact that there was actually a farm almost in town, and I did not even know it existed. Wow. Jeff came out the next day to check it out, and then he called me at school. (I was working) he was so excited and told me I had to come out and look at this place! So, it just so happened this place was about two minutes from the school where I worked, so I stopped by after work. As I turned into the drive, I realized why I never even knew it existed. The farm sits back off the main road by about 1/3 of a mile, it sits behind other homes. I drove up over the little hill and a whole new world opened up to me!

It was incredible! 148 acres of beautiful solitude! As soon as I drove back that drive, I had this feeling that God wanted us here. I looked at the house which was built in 1900. It needed a LOT of work done. It is a good thing Jeff used to be a contractor!

We ended up saying YES!!!

It most certainly was a God thing. We have found such peace and healing here. Our boys loved it here. They all liked the opportunities it provided, such as hunting right here, fishing (we have a lovely pond) four-wheeling just to name a few. Owning a horse has been great fun too. My whole world changed when we moved here. The peace and quiet ministered to my heart, and allowed for healing to take place in my wounded soul.

I am so grateful that God provided this pace for us, just when we needed the healing most. Yes, we worked very hard to get it ready to move into. Matter of fact we gutted the house and nice months later it was ready to move into. I have tried to keep with the "country" theme. Just to make it authentic.

My dream is to someday have a place like this where we can invite hurting people to come and stay with us. To be a house of ministry. A place for planting and harvesting health and healing. A place where people can find God, and be ministered to as they need it. Right now we rent this home and get the opportunity to enjoy all of these beautiful surroundings. My hope is to own a place like this where we can have a large home for people to stay in. Vineyard House is the name I would like to use. A place where there is the hope of fruitfulness, new life, healing.

Someday...

1 comment:

Tina said...

Oh this blessed my heart and reminds to wait and that God has something better for us than we can even imagine. Ted and I will be searching for a home soon (we hope) It's been a long time since I've called one spot home. Thanks for this encouraging post.
Love you
t